Reading Strategies - decoding with style


During my time as a teacher I have tried many ways to teach reading an dhow to decode words and meaning. 
I do have to say that the best way is using 'Cafe' as part of 'daily 5'.

SSSShhhhhh - don't tell anyone, but I was using 'Cafe' many years ago and had no idea that it was linked to 'daily 5' until about two years ago. You don't know what you don't know. 

              


So I had an ah-ha moment a few years back and it all made so much more sense. So the strategies within Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency and Expanding Vocabulary are very clear and supported by the information in the books by the 'two sisters'. 

But I was after a hook! Something that kids could identify with and use to manage how they handled reading when it didn't work and gave them excellent decoding strategies. 

So one day when I was losing myself in searching for graphics for something else I came upon these brilliant graphics for the posters I wanted to create. Lots of people have made similar posters - so they have been kicking around for a while. 

How do I use them?
I have introduced each poster individually. 
Modelling how they work using our big book or in shared book times. 
The posters are then placed on our wall to refer back to. 
Each child also has a copy that goes home with them. 
I have a small set contacted onto my guided reading table. 
We refer to them all the time. 
When I see a child using a strategy we name it, repeat it and share it with others. 
The kids love the pictures, love the fact that they are colourful, around the room and everywhere. 
I love that they name the strategy and are not just sounding out or looking to me to solve the word.
 It is one of the reason we have a large percentage of students who are reading one or two years above the expected level. 

If this is something you wanted to have a go at they are in my store - click here

You will not look back!

                
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...